Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Yag A Zoo Zee, Yag A Zoo Zee, Yag A Zoo Zee ZIM!

Back when I was about 5 or 6 years old I had three evil step brothers and my own evil real brother. Sometimes the three oldest could be pretty mean. And evil. They used to force me to give them money or do their chores (we called them chores back then)...

So anyhow this one time they asked me for my money and I said no. They told me if I didn't give them the money the Boogeyman would get me. And then they really started playing up how mean and vicious the Boogeyman was. How scary he was. And what he did to children. I was probably crying at this stage as I wasn't a big fan of the Boogeyman. They repeated that if I gave them money they would protect me from the Boogeyman. I sobbed: "BUT I DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY!!!! Is there anything else I could do to keep the Boogeyman away?"

They turned down the lights and pulled closed the curtains and told me that the Yag-A-Zoo-Zee dance might help. The Yag-A-Zoo-Zee dance was performed in counterclockwise fashion around the room with hard stomping with a very Zombie like monotone. I had to circle the room (a very large room that was built over the garage) five times. It was pitch black. Hands would grab my legs as I circled the room stomping out Yag-A-Zoo-Zee, Yag-A-Zoo-Zee,Yag-A-Zoo-Zee-ZIM,Yag-A-Zoo-Zee,Yag-A-Zoo-Zee,Yag-A-Zoo-Zee-ZAM! Tears streaming down my face until I finished...over and over agian. Scared to death. Until finally the Boogeyman was forever gone.

But I always remembered him.

Then about 3 years ago I'm watching Nick at Nite with my kids and an episode of Bewitched was on and sure enough one of Samantha's wacky relatives was singing (chanting?) Yag-A-Zoo-Zee, Yag-A-Zoo-Zee,Yag-A-Zoo-Zee-ZIM,Yag-A-Zoo-Zee,Yag-A-Zoo-Zee,Yag-A-Zoo-Zee-ZAM!



Moral of the story:
TV writers hide in kids rooms to get story ideas.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! We used to do that to get rid of kids!

Anonymous said...

I'm coming to get my comics tomorrow. Please oh please do the dance for me?

Lois Lane said...

Can the boogeyman swim?

I Ain't No Oprah said...

Yag A Zoo Zee, Yag A Zoo Zee, Yag A Zoo Zee SWIM!

Cake said...

If I did that dance clockwise would it attract the boogeyman?

I Ain't No Oprah said...

DON'T EVER DO THE DANCE CLOCKWISE...WHAT ARE YOU CRAZY OR SOMETHING????

Cake said...

::stops dancing::

Uh-oh.

Cake said...

It doesn't strike me as wise to taunt the boogeyman. Now you've done it!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful. I'm trying to purge myself of this, but don't have a blog.

Knowing what a kind-hearted neighbourly type Steve is, I'm sure he won't mind.

Campbell's Cream of Mushroom, shared with Clark Kent, on the front stairs:

Wassup? Sup on soup with Supes on the stoop, troop.


Sorry about that, but I really really had to get rid of it.

For more Superman "fun":
http://www.theamericanjerk.com/

Thank you for your patience.

-Paul

Anonymous said...

Nice one, Paul. I already had a headache and now you've gone and made it worse.

I'm going to be in your neck of the woods on Friday and I don't have a long memory...but it is long enough to last till then.

Sam

Clinky said...

"It's kill or be kicked!"