Friday, August 25, 2006

Goering and the 'Coons

Ever hear of Hermann Goering? Well, he was one Hitler's most trusted and how shall we say it...most flamboyant of Generals. He liked to wear makeup. Frilly undergarments. Dresses and flashy coats. Did up his fingernails. All sorts of girlie things. And he was a very LARGE man so he didn't even look hot when dressed up. And he was the head of the air force. Depleted just about every museum of their paintings. Freakish, crossdressin,' thievin' Luftwaffe General. But Adolf liked him...maybe cuz Hitler knew he'd look normal in comparison. Or maybe they just swapped dresses and recipes.


So anyhow in the 1930s Goering decided to release a pair of raccoons ('coons are from North America...or so Hoagy tells me) into the German wilderness to "enrich the Reich's fauna." and now decades later Germany is crawling with raccoons.

Hitler hated raccoons.



The point of the story?
Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime. Teach a man to release raccoons into prewar Germany and you'll have the Germans feeding raccoons for centuries.

(A special thanks to Hoagy for sending me an email about Goering and the Raccoons....without that email this post would not have been possible.)

9 comments:

Cake said...

Oh that Goering!

Lois Lane said...

Y'know, "Goering and the 'Coons" would be a great sit-com to run after "Oh, That Hoagy!"

I'm gonna go call NBC right now.

I smell Emmy!

I Ain't No Oprah said...

Emmy should take a bath.

I Ain't No Oprah said...

A blog post about Goering AND raccoons and only four posts...two if I delete the ones from Mr. Cake.

Cake said...

You wouldn't DARE, Miss NoOprah!

I Ain't No Oprah said...

I think you're wrong about that.

Cake said...

So. Dead.

bostongraf said...

Well, I'm still trying to remember how to pronouce Goering!

And I've been in meetings all day. Even I'm surprised to say that they were actually PRODUCTIVE meetings. Not quite as productive as those two raccoons! But pretty productive...

Anonymous said...

From your description of Fatso Goering("freakish crossdressin") I flashed on the idea of Hermy and J.Edgar Hoover out on a date.

Thank you very much, Cuz.
I'll get you for this.