Friday, April 18, 2008

The Cerebral One

So last night on buddy nite, Me, The Hoag, and The Blonde were joined by an old friend from the 1970s.

We'll call him Greg.

I haven't seen him since probably 1982.

So we picked up right where we left off and yucked it up for about 4 hours or so. It was better than fun.

It was Greg Fun.

And at one point Greg says to me:

"I always thought of you as the cerebral one, and Hoagy as the slapstick one."

At first I didn't quite agree with that.

Until I thought about it. And dissected it. And mulled it over.

(I'm a muller)

So now maybe I agree.

But I also kinda wish I was the slapstick one. That's a good rep to have.

"Hey! There goes the Slapstick one!....he sure is fun!"

Nobody ever says: "Hey! There goes Joey Cerebral...I wanna hang with him!"

So now the gauntlet has been thrown....and I'm gonna be the Slapstick Cerebral one!

Or at least laugh at Hoag as he tries to win.

Which he won't. Though he does do a mean baby cry, a great Elvis, a fantastic Vinnie Barbarino, a decent Robert DeNiro and most cartoon characters.

Crap.

I'm gonna lose!

-----------------------

Dear Greg,

Thanks for ruining my life.

Love,
The Cerebral One

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Entirely off topic:

Manny put on a hell of a show last night. A respectful tip of the Yankees cap to him.

-- Lamont "Ouah Yeeah" Cranston

Sparkle Plenty said...

You mean you're not Ringo? I thought you were Ringo. So, you're George or John? And that makes Hoagy...Ringo? Or Paul? Or Robert De Niro?

I'm so confused. Let's try this. Martin and Lewis. He's Lewis? You're Martin? Abbott and Costello. You're Abbott? He's Costello?

Or: Are you sure Greg said "cerebral"? He didn't say "nerdy"?

Anonymous said...

you both still crack me up after all these years...that what really counts!

Anonymous said...

I was once called cerebral, too! We have something in common other than our love of puppies!

Lois Lane said...

Maybe you guys are Rowan and Martin...I can't remember...were either of those guys funny?

Maybe Sonny and Cher? How would you look with a mustache? How would Hoagy look in a Bob Mackie gown?

Anonymous said...

You are most certainly not Cerebral. There's only ONE Cerebral and he's an aardvark!

Anonymous said...

Let's face it, they're Glimmer Twins.

Joe Doherty said...

You're definitely the cerebral one. Sorry there, brainy-boy.

But it ain't all bad. You're like the Dennis Miller to Hoagy's Dana Carvey. Bill Hicks to Chevy Chase. Howard Cosell to Bob Lobel.

Cake said...

Oh well, you think therefore you are...by contrast, any minute now, Hoagy is gonna poof outta existence.

Anonymous said...

I can relate Steve, see if you agree: I think Joe D is the cerebral one, while I'm the "slapsticky" one...

P.S. When I go to your Nerd/Geek store next Wed I'll be picking up my prize for best Beatle on Beatle crime, thanks!

Joe Doherty said...

Scary to think I'm the cerebral one. I think it's probably best to say you're the slapsticky one and I'm your moron sidekick.

I Ain't No Oprah said...

Or maybe Nerdy and Geeky.

Joe Doherty said...

Can't argue that. Look where we shop!

Joe Doherty said...

Can't argue that. Look where we shop!

Anonymous said...

I jus' think dat hits unfortunate but hunnerstandable dat noboy want cerebral pals,eh?