Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas Eve Recap

So it was Christmas Eve and I was on my way home early...for some reason Wifey thought I was working my regular hours and had made plans with some of her girlfriends.

I was left alone.

What does one do alone on Christmas Eve?

I did what anybody would do...I went to the local Kentucky Fried Chicken / Taco Bell for a festive meal with my closest homeless friends and vagrants.

Six tacos and a root beer.

I looked around at the pathetic dregs wolfing down popcorn chicken and burritos.

What losers.

What scum.

Lonely. Poor.

Christmas Eve at a combo KFC/Taco Bell.

Did I mention said 'restaurant' was next to a Wal-Mart?

The stench wasn't coming from only the Taco Bell.

Poor pathetic lonely losers alone on Christmas Eve.

And then I noticed the gray haired street lady was looking at me with sad eyes.

SHE LOOKED AT ME LIKE IT WAS ME THAT WAS POOR AND PATHETIC AND EATING ALONE AT TACO BELL/ KFC ON CHRISTMAS EVE!!!

ME!!!!

And I was.

Alone.

Hot sauce dripping down my chin. Shredded cheese strewn about the table.

Alone.

Pathetic.

But then I rose from my seat.

Proud.

Filled with processed meat.

And I took my camera out and took a picture of the Christmas Tree that was in the middle of the floor of the KFC/Taco Bell that was next to a Wal-Mart in an old New England shoe town.

And the folks in the restaurant all smiled. Strangers in a Strange Land.

The counter girl said: "Pretty cool, huh?"

I nodded and smiled at her.

Christmas is special.

So are Tacos and Popcorn Chicken.



(actual photo I took alone on Christmas Eve with a belly filled with meat, tortilla, cheese and lettuce)

7 comments:

Cake said...

Little known fact: Mary and Joseph had tacos in the manger. Really. It would have been KFC, too, but the wisemen ate it all on the way and had to make do with gold.

Cake again said...

Also...my recent favourite blog entry. Just sayin'.

Sparkle Plenty said...

You win Blogger of the Year for your last three posts. Sorry. Suck it up.

(And for god's sake, stock up on DigelTM.)

Lois too lazy to log in said...

Mmmm.....tacos.

BTW, my mom-in-law gave me a sweater from Sears. It will be returned later this week.

Cake said...

I heard people who shop at Sears also eat at Taco Bell...

paul howley said...

My version of Wifey bought me socks from Taco Bell....mmmm...tasty socks....

The Silver Fox said...

*sniff* That was beautiful. *sniff*